Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Minnie Mouse Cupcakes

I was commissioned to make Minnie Mouse cupcakes for a friend's baby shower.

They were simple and got lots of compliments.  You can make these too!

I bought pink polka dot baking cups from Party City.

I used pink cake mix - yes...I cheated and did not make cake from scratch. However, I did make homemade buttercream frosting for the first time.  I found I fantastic recipe that turned out so great.

(I did have to double the recipe to have enough for 2 dozen cupcakes) 





You may notice that I used 2 different types of cookies for the ears.  This is where I experienced some trial and error (and some weeping and gnashing of teeth). 

I had my heart set on using Girl Scout Thin Mints.  I put them on the night before and the morning of...they had all drooped off. 

If you experience this kind of failure...fear not.  You can take the icing off the cupcake and re-pipe it on.  (By the way, I use this Wilton Dessert Decorator).

The BETTER KIND OF COOKIE to use is the new Oreo Thins!  They are lightweight and easier to keep on the cupcake.  ***I also found that it worked wonders to stick a toothpick through the Oreo cream center and then stick the ear into the cupcake.***

Now you're wondering about my sweet Minnie bows.  I found these cookie cutters for sale from this Etsy shop. I bought the Medium sized one, and used it to cut out loads of bows from pink fondant.

No comments:

Post a Comment